Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ah! Woe is Me

I was feeling sorry for myself today, because my husband and visiting daughter got to traipse off to NYC to visit my granddaughter, while I had to stay behind because I’m sick. I thought I’d perk myself up by watching the movie Bright Star, Jane Campion’s take on the poet John Keats and his muse (and love) Fanny Brawne, but I ended up sobbing uncontrollably, along with Fanny, after Keats died in Rome. I continued to sob some more while I reread The Poems of John Keats, a lovely, leather-bound book given to me by an ex-boyfriend I first met in Amsterdam in 1968, on my first trip to Europe. (He was leaving me to visit Keats’s apartment next to the Spanish Steps, so he promised me a present when we met up back in the USA.)

Ah – isn't there just something to love about crying over spilt prose?

Because I still need cheering up, plus a quick reentry back into the 21st century, I’m going to curl up under my quilt and watch the movie 17 Again, which both my husband and daughter saw last night and promised me was entertaining.

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! This afternoon's turned into a two-movie, marathon-watching, beautiful day in my indoor, homebound neighborhood.

No comments: