Friday, April 2, 2010

Queen of the Wild Frontier

Tomorrow morning I’m leaving on a jet plane for San Antonio, Texas – home of the 2010 NCAA Women’s Final Four. I’ve packed four, old, ratty UConn-themed T-shirts, sunscreen, a bathing suit, too many clothes and shoes, four library books, my iPod, and a tiny notebook, since I’m leaving my laptop home.

I’ll be putting on my great, big Girl Scout smile as I open myself up to the next five days of sun, river walks, Tex-Mex food, my husband’s UConn Women’s Basketball Team fanatacism, the hotel’s rooftop pool and Jacuzzi, and…last but absolutely not least…some great college basketball.

I’m ready for the challenge of being on foreign turf without a computer, across from one of my favorite childhood TV characters' (Davy Crockett) beloved Alamo. I thank my Uncle Justin for this early fascination of mine, which started on the day he picked up my brother and me in his convertible, a coonskin cap on his head, to take us on a fast trip to Howard Johnson’s. The waitresses flirted with him and admired his hat, and so did I.

I know that some girls are turned on by a guy’s muscles, but Davy Crockett’s hat does it for me.

I’ll be taking notes and pictures, which I’ll upload and share when I get back.

Westward, ho (and adios Fes Parker)!

No comments: