Thursday, November 26, 2009

And I Thank You...

(don't forget to click above to hear one of my all-time favorite songs)

When I was a little kid in Philly I had to say what I was thankful for before digging into my plate of Turkey Day food. Since I’m not having Thanksgiving with my family this year, I’ve cooked up a list of things I’m thankful for.

Before I drag myself downstairs to the kitchen to make the cranberry sauce and sweet potato casserole I’m bringing to a friend’s house in a few hours, here’s who and what I appreciate this year:

My husband, who sticks around (even though I snore louder than a leaf blower each and every night) and reads aloud to me, even though at first he thought House of Mirth was terrible (he cried at the end!)

My daughter, who calls me on her way to work, Skypes me when I ask, iChats when she has a free moment, and stays connected - even though she lives far, far away in that alternate universe known as Seattle, and her husband, my new son-in-law, even though it’s his fault she moved so far away

My son, for fathering my first granddaughter

My Miami Beach aunt, who talks to me on the phone each week and tells it like it is

My sister, who calls me on her cellphone when she’s in an airport, a car, or upstairs in her attic office (typing on the computer – which she thinks I can’t hear, but, hellooooo, I can)

My friend, Janet Rose, who provided me with friendship, support, and love for 24 years (and continues to, in absentia, since she died an untimely death this past September)

My friends (old and new), who listen to me rant and rave, but don’t hang up, keep emailing, Facebooking, and loving me 

My adopted pseudo-daughters and grandchildren

Yoga, stretch and tone, and spinning classes

My Philadelphia and California family (they’re really my husband’s family, but they’ve been kind enough to adopt me into the fold for the past 40 years)

All the stupid, addictive TV I refuse to stop DVRing, watching, and fast forwarding past the commercials: Glee, 30 Rock, Brothers and Sisters, Modern Family, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Private Practice, The Big Bang Theory, The Geno Auriemma Show, Friday Night Lights, Mad Men, Bored to Death, and UConn basketball (there, are you happy, now that you officially know some of my dirty, little secrets?)

The brothers across the street who agreed to once again snowblow our sidewalks and driveway

My tinnitus, deafness, migraines, sprained left foot, high cholesterol, fat stomach, psoriasis, poor vision, tight hamstrings, creaky back, drooping jowls, and scarred lips, because they make me what I yam (minus the marshmallows on top)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is lovely. Thankful for your energizing presence as well. SRB

Peebs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Peebs said...

That's my girl!

Serena Crystal said...

Very sweet - sweeter than cranberry sauce! Am dying to know what Peebs said! xoxox

Stephanie said...

And Thanks to you, pseudomama!